|David M. Shively|
Photo Album Dennis/Nancy Shively
The following biography was extracted from A Portrait and Biographical Record Of Delaware County, IND Containing Biographical Sketches Of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Chicago, A W Bowen & Co., 1894, Page 672:
Dr. David M. Shively, a successful physician of Yorktown, son of Michael and Keziah (Laboyteaux) Shively, was born on the 25th day of September, 1840, in Henry county, Ind. His father was a native of Kentucky, and his mother of Ohio, in Hamilton county of which state they were married in the year 1830. In 1835, Michael and Keziah Shively removed to New Castle, Ind., where they resided until Mrs. Shively's death, which occurred November 12, 1860. Mr. Shively, in 1885, removed to Wells county, Ind., where he is now living a life of retirement. He has been a very successful man, and bore his full share in developing the county of Henry, which, upon the time of his arrival, over sixty years ago, was in a very primitive state. He walked from Hamilton county, Ohio, to Indianapolis for the purpose of entering his land, and his accumulation of property, in after years, was entirely the result of his own efforts. In an early day he achieved considerable note as a hunter, and it is stated, upon good authority, that he shot the only bear ever killed in Henry county. In early life he worked at the wheelwright trade, but after coming to Indiana devoted his entire attention to the pursuit of agriculture. He has always been a democrat in his political affiliations and religiously subscribes to the creed of Universalism. Of the ten children born to Michael and Keziah Shively, five are living at this time, namely: Catherine, wife of Frank Roof, Peter, David M., Naomi and Mary Ann, wife of William May.
David M. Shively was reared to agricultural pursuits, and his early educational advantages were limited to the common schools, which he attended only during the winter season. He made up for the early deficiency in his early education by attending the schools of New Castle for the greater part of five years, and while pursuing his studies, formed a determination of entering the medical profession. He began his study of the same under the instruction of Dr. Ray, of New Castle, in who office he remained for one year, at the end of which time, owing to circumstances over which he had no control, was compelled to discontinue his reading and engage in other pursuits. Naturally skillful, he turned his attention to blacksmithing, and for nearly three years worked at that trade in Blountsville, in Henry county, pursuing his professional reading in the mean time. Subsequently, he established his own, which he operated for eight months and then went to New Castle and accepted a position with Michael Swigert, a well known mechanic of the place, with whom he worked for a limited period. His next move was to Middletown, where he effected a copartnership in the blacksmith business with Jacob A. Good, which continued for three years, when he disposed of his interest and removed to Mechanisburg, where he followed the trade for two months, locating at the end of that time in Middletown. Later, he moved to the town of Epworth, Iowa, where he carried on his trade for a short time, and then, returning to Indiana, became a member of the firm of Shively & Fisher, at New Castle, where he remained for two years. During all the time he worked at his trade, he never, for a moment, abandoned the idea of entering the medical profession, but continued his study of the same as circumstances would admit. After disposing of his mechanical business at New Castle, he entered the Physio-Medical Institute, at Cincinnati, in which he took a full course and then located, in 1874, at Yorktown, where he began the active practice of his profession, and after a short residence here, moved to Carthage, Rush county, where he resided for a limited period, and then returned to Yorktown, where his skill as a physician has been attested by a large and lucrative practice in Mount Pleasant and adjoining townships of Delaware and Madison counties.
Dr. Shively was married in Middletown, Henry county, January 10, 1864, to Jennie, daughter of Joseph and Effie (McCune) Moore. Mrs. Shively was born in Pennsylvania and has borne her husband the following children: Minnie, deceased; Augustus, a student of the Medical college of Indiana; Bernie, deceased; and Emma, deceased. Dr. Shively began his practice under circumstances not at all auspicious, and met with much opposition on the part of certain ill disposed persons who used all their influence for the purpose of embarrassing him. By attending strictly to his business, however, and devoting all his energies to his profession, he succeeded in overcoming the many obstacles by which his way was beset, and his practice is now large and lucrative, and he occupies a prominent place among his professional brethren in Delaware county. A democrat in politics, he has never sought official position; and a firm believer in the truths of the Bible, belongs to the Universalist church.
|David M. Shively/Jane Moore Marriage|
The following was extracted from The Muncie Morning Star, Wednesday, January 4, 1905:
Death of Dr. D. M. Shively, Well Known Practitioner
Prominent Physician Passed Away At His Home in Yorktown – Had
Practiced Long in Delaware and Henry Counties
Dr. David M. Shively, 64, who was found unconscious in his office in Yorktown two weeks ago, died at his home there at 6:45 o’clock Tuesday morning of Bright’s disease. When he was taken ill his only son, Dr. Augustus Shively, who practiced with him, was in a hospital in Indianapolis, and an effort was made to keep the news from him, as it was feared that he would become worse.
Dr. Shively had been a resident of Yorktown for many years, first settling there in 1874. He moved to Rush County for a short time, however, but soon returned to Yorktown. He was born in New Castle in 1840 and was raised on his fathers farm. His early education was obtained from the district schools and he first took up the study of medicine under Dr. Ray, of New Castle, but had to give it up. He then was employed as a blacksmith and became one of the best in the country, working for other men and then for himself. He did not give up reading along medical lines while at work, and in time entered the Physio-Medical institute of Cincinnati, from which he graduated. At the time of his death he was one of the best-known physicians in the county.
In 1864, the deceased was married to Miss Jennie Moore, of Middletown, who survives him. One son and a grandson also survive.
Dr. Shively was a Democrat in political life, but never sought any public office. He was vice president of the Moore Family Reunion association and was a heavy stockholder in the Consumers Gas company. The funeral arrangements have not yet been made, other than that burial will be made in Henry county near Middletown.