There are times when I discover a new Shively biography that is so full of genealogy information that no further explanation is needed. Following is an example found this week:
Biographical and Genealogical History of Cass, Miami, Howard and Tipton Counties, Indiana, Vol. II, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1898, Pages 967-970.
DAVID R. SHIVELY, one of the most venerable citizens of Bunker Hill, Indiana, and a respected pioneer of Miami county and of Pipe Creek township, is of the sturdy Pennsylvania Dutch stock. His first American ancestors were from Switzerland, being two brothers. The name then spelled Shiveley. They were among German Baptists who emigrated to the Keystone state between 1708 and 1729, on the establishment of the Pennsylvania government, to escape religious persecution.
John Shively, the grandfather of David R., was a native of Pennsylvania, in which state he married Miss Susanna Cripe, and their children were David, Christian, John, Jacob, Susanna and Elizabeth. John Shively was a pioneer farmer in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, and was a resident there during the Indian troubles, when he was obliged to leave his home for three years and take shelter in a safe place. In religion he was a German Baptist. Later he emigrated to Montgomery county, Ohio, where it is believed he settled as early as 1806, entered land and cleared and cultivated a portion of it, making a good tillable farm. He was one of the earliest pioneers of that county and a highly respected citizen. He was an elder in the German Baptist church. He could have bought the land where the court-house in Dayton now stands for ten pounds of butter. His son, David Shively, the father of our subject, was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, in 1787, and was taken to Montgomery county, Ohio, by his parents when a boy. They came down the Ohio on a flat-boat from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. After he grew up he was married, in Montgomery county, to Hannah Cripe, also a native of the Keystone state and a daughter of Jacob Cripe. His children were Jacob, Daniel, Barbara, Hannah, Esther and Elizabeth. Elder Cripe was a pioneer of Montgomery county, Ohio, where he cleared a tract of land and reduced it to cultivation and was a prosperous farmer. David Shively settled on land which his father had entered six miles west of Dayton, between Liberty and Wolf creek, and about two and a half miles from the present Soldiers’ Home. Here he cleared land a developed a farm of about one hundred and ten acres, to which he added by later purchase until he had one hundred and sixty acres, all of which was fine farm land. He gave eighty acres to each of his children—Elizabeth, Samuel and David R. He emigrated to Pipe Creek township, Miami county, Indiana, in 1853, buying eighty acres of land and clearing it, and here he died, about the age of eighty years, a sincere member of the German Baptist church.
David R. Shively, whose name heads this sketch, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, December 13, 1820, received a limited common-school education and was married in his native county in October, 1843, to Annie Haines, who was born in 1826, in Pennsylvania, the daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth (Myers) Haines. Her father was of sturdy Pennsylvania Dutch stock, and also German Baptist, a man of strict principles and consistent conduct. By his first wife his children were: Isaac, George and Samuel. The mother of these children died and subsequently Mr. Haines was united in marriage with Elizabeth Myers, and the children by this union were: Annie, Michael, Catharine, Samuel, Stephen, Rudy and Jesse.
After marriage Mr. Shively located first in Montgomery county, Ohio, on a tract of eighty acres of land which his father had given him and lived there four years, when he moved to Germantown Pike and was a resident there also for four years. Here he had a fine farm of one hundred and twenty-eight acres a half mile from the Soldiers’ Home, which he ultimately sold in 1854, for five thousand five hundred dollars. Moving to Pipe Creek township, Miami county, Indiana, he purchased two hundred and twenty acres of land, mostly in timber, and cleared it, bringing out a good farm. For ten years he also owned and ran a gristmill on Big Pipe creek. By his never failing industry and concentration of energies and active judgment, he at length had for himself a splendid home, was prosperous in all his business and an influential citizen. By his first wife his children were John and Elizabeth.
Mrs. Shively died October 9, 1864, having always enjoyed a reputation for industry and the accomplishments of a good house-wife, and she was a devoted member of the German Baptist church. By his second marriage, February 3, 1867, at Arcadia, Hamilton county, Indiana, Mr. Shively was united with Mrs. Fanny S. Murray, whose maiden name was Correll and who was born January 14, 1828, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Stouffer) Correll. Her father was of French and German ancestry and a son of David and Susan (Hess) Correll. John Correll also was a native of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, was a distiller by trade and a farmer. His children were Christopher, Fannie, Elizabeth, John, Susanna, Annie, Catharine, Mary, Sarah, Barbara, Joseph, Jacob and Andrew. Mr. John Correll moved to Indiana in 1838, locating in Wayne county, and after a residence there of five years removed to Hamilton county, also in this state, settling upon one hundred and forty acres of land, where he made a farm in the forest and established a good home for his children. His days were ended in Hamilton county, where he died, December 4, 1885, at the venerable age of eighty-five years, having been born June 29, 1800. He was a member of the Mennonite church and was much respected. He brought up his children in good habits and was himself a very exemplary citizen. Mrs. Shively was about ten years of age when she came in 1838 and joined her parents in Hamilton county, and at the age of seventeen was married to John Murray, who was born November 13, 1818, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and was a farmer by occupation. Their children were Elizabeth, Barbara, Mary, Christopher, Catharine, Annie, Daniel and John. Mr. and Mrs. Murray located in Hamilton county, this state, where he finally died, at the age of forty-one years. He was of Pennsylvania Dutch stock and an industrious, straightforward man.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Shively settled upon the Shively homestead in Pipe Creek township, and in 1876 removed to Bunker Hill, where they have a pleasant residence, with about twenty acres in a high state of cultivation. On this plat they have planted all kinds of fine fruit trees that can be successfully cultivated in this latitude, besides many ornamental trees; this very comfortable home they richly deserve in return for their many long years of ardous labor.
They are members of the German Baptist church, and politically Mr. Shively votes with the Democratic party. Concerning all the subjects of the foregoing sketch in general we can quote with hearty indorsement the language of Daniel Webster: “Real goodness does not attach itself merely to this life; it points to another world. Political and professional reputation cannot last forever; but a conscience void of offence before God and man is an inheritance for eternity.”