Charles W. Shively was born on 28-February-1839 and died 27-September-1910 in Clatsop County, Oregon. He was the son of John M. Shively who was the subject of last week's Shively blog. The following was extracted from The Morning Oregonian, Thursday, September 29, 1910, Page 7, Column 2:
Pioneer Of 1848 Dead
Charles W. Shively Was First Federal Officeholder In West
Acute indigestion, supplemented by an atack of heart failure, caused the death of Charles W. Shively, an Oregon pioneer, aged 70, Tuesday night at 11 o'clock at his home, 572 East Sixth street. He was the son of the first man to hold Federal office west of the Rocky Mountains.
The pioneer is survived by his widow and six children, five daughters and a son. They are: Mrs. John C. McCue, Miss Minnie Shively, Miss Eva Shively, of Portland; Mrs. Raymond Henkle, of San Jose, Cal.; Mrs. Harry Burgey, of Vancouver, Wash., and Charles W. Shively, Jr., of Portland.
Mr. Shively was born in Kentucky and with his parents came across the plains to Oregon in a prairie schooner, arriving here in 1848. His father received from the Government a donation land claim which covered, along with the Taylor and Adair claims, the whole of the town site of Astoria, Or. His father was postmaster at Astoria.
Mr. Shively for many years was purser on vessels plying between San Francisco and the Columbia river and was also a master pilot on the Columbia river. He served several terms as school superintendent of Clatsop county and was also an Astoria Councilman.
The funeral will be held from the residence at 1:30 P.M. tomorrow. Interment will be in Riverview Cemetery.
The newspaper obituary for the wife of Charles W. Shively was extracted from The Morning Oregonian, Tuesday, May 15, 1928, Page 6, Column1:
Mrs. A.M. Shively Dead
Oregon Pioneer Funeral To Be Held Tomorrow
Resident Of Oregon Since 1858 One Of First Students At St. Mary's Academy
Mrs. Anna Margretta Shively, Oregon pioneer, died Sunday at her residence, 720 East Grant street. She was born in Paderborn, Germany, April 21, 1849. Her parents brought her to the United States on a sailing vessel in 1857. After living in New York a few weeks they moved to St. Louis, Mo., and in 1858 they came to Oregon by way of the Isthmus of Panama, arriving in Portland in August of that year. Mrs. Shively had been a resident of Oregon practically ever since that date. She attended the public schools here, graduating from the old Central school, which was located on the present site of the Portland hotel. She was a student of St. Mary's academy, enrolling on the day that institution was opened.
She was married to Charles H. Shively October 19, 1871. His father, John M. Shively, located a donation claim at Astoria which is now the central part of the city, and he was the first postmaster west of the Rocky mountains in American territory. Mr. and Mrs. Shively lived in Astoria until 1901, when they moved to Portland. He died in 1910.
Mrs. Shively is survived by five daughters, Mrs. John C. McCue, Mrs. Charles A. Meyer and Miss Minnie Shively of Portland, Mrs. H. H. Burgy of Vancouver, Wash., and Mrs. Raymond E. Henkle of Los Angeles; a son, Charles J. Shively of Beaverton, and a sister, Mrs. Mary Shafer of Portland. Funeral services, in charge of Edward Holman & Sons, will be held tomorrow morning at 9:30 at St. Phillip's church, East Sixteenth street and Hickory avenue. Interment will be in the family plot in Riverview cemetery.
Additional information was located in An Illustrated History Of The State Of Oregon, H. K. Hines, Author, Published by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1893, Pages 838 and 839:
C. W. SHIVELY, Superintendent of Schools of Clatsop county, was born in St. Louis, Missouri, February 28, 1839, a son of John M. and Martha (Meade) Shively. The mother was a relative of the brave General Meade, and her death occurred in 1841. The father came to Oregon in 1843, where he was among the pioneer settlers. In 1847 he brought the first United States mail to the coast, was the first Collector of Customs on the Pacific Mail Company in 1846, and was active in the boundary between the United States and British Columbia. He located in Clatsop county in 1843, and, being a civil engineer, laid out the town of Astoria. In 1849 he began mining in California, but later removed to the Fraser river. He still resides in Astoria, and he and John Hobson are the only two men now in the city who were here in 1843.
Charles W. Shively, our subject, started with his father, at the age of eight years, to cross the plains from Missouri to Oregon, and at twelve years of age he gan life for himself. With 5 cents in his pocket he left Astoria for Oregon City, working his passage on the steamer, and from the latter place he rode horseback and drove cattle to Jacksonville, where his father was mining. There he waited on tables in a restaurant for a time, and next followed mining. While there, in 1852, Gustave Wilson, now United States Consul from Russia, worked for him in the mines for $5 a day. Two years later Mr. Shively attended school for five years; then followed surveying; in 1858 was employed as whartinger for Captain Richard Hoyt, of Portland, also a purser on river steamers; in 1860 began the study of dentistry in San Francisco, which he continued for two years, and at the same time was special correspondent of the Alta Californian; and in 1862 again tried mining, in Idaho, but was unsuccessful. He then returned to Astoria, and was the first in the United States Engineer Department at Fort Canby, was subsequently placed at the head of the Commissary Department, and assistant timekeeper; in 1864 was in the Engineer Department at Alcatraz island, a few miles north of San Francisco; the following year was wrecked on the bar at the mouth of the Columbia river, March 16, 1865, and seventeen lives were lost. In 1866 Mr. Shively was made purser on the steamer Rescue; in 1867 was engaged as reporter for the city papers of San Francisco, and also as assistant pilot on the Vallejo and captain of the steamer Fresno, between Sacramento and Red Bluff; in 1868 was employed by Ben Holladay, as purser, freight clerk and Wells-Fargo's messenger, on the steamer Active, between Portland and Victoria, British Columbia; next was foreman on the Stockton & Copperpolis railroad for one year; in 1871 was bookkeeper for the Cosmopolitan Hotel at Portland; then removed to San Francisco; and in 1876 came to Astoria. Since that time he has been connected with various enterprises, and for ten years was Clerk of the School Board, and also in the real estate business. He was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1889, and is now serving his fourth year. He is the only heir to his father's large estate, and is now giving his entire attention to his land interests.
Mr. Shively was married October 18, 1869, to Miss Annie M. Dielschneider, a native of Prussia, and they have had the following children: Katherine May, a teacher, of Portland; Wilhelmina E., who graduated in music in San Francisco; Martha S., Annie P., Eva, Charlie and David P. Thompson. Socially our subject is a mamber of the Masonic order, and the Knights of Pythias; and religiously, is an adherent to the Baptist Church. He is one of Astoria's most enterprising and public-spirited men, and a citizen universally respected.