The subjects of the blog article written on May 17, 2014 were Samuel Shively (Shiebler) and his first wife Susannah Henry and second wife Mary Henry. This week an ancestor of these families requested information on the Shively history.
In the information written in 2014 mention was made of a newspaper article from The Democratic Press in Ravenna, Portage County, Ohio that Samuel evidently attempted to practice bigamy by being married to the both Henry sisters. Samuel Shively was born 11-Oct-1842 in Pennsylvania, a son of Jacob Shively and (unknown) Kepple. Samuel died in Westmoreland County, PA on 9-Jul-1909. He was buried in Hillside Cemetery. His stone lists Samuel Shiebler 1842-1909, Co F 103 Pa Inf. and wife, Mary M (1852-1924). He was first married to Susannah Henry a daughter of Frederick Henry III and Lydia Ann Gross. Samuel and Susannah had at least three children: William born 1868, Mary Jane born 1869, and Charles born 1874. On 21-Apr-1874 in Montgomery County, OH Samuel married Mary Henry, sister of Susannah Henry. Zachariah Taylor Henry who was a brother to Susannah and Mary reported the marriage of Samuel and Mary to authorities who arrested Samuel on charges of bigamy. Samuel Shively and Mary Henry went on to have at least the following children: Harry born 1875, John born 1879, Anna born 1880, Howard born 1882, Edward born 1884, Laura born 1886 and Lawrence born 1891. After the separation from Samuel Shively on 3-Jul-1893 Susannah Henry Shively married a second time to Mark L. Campbell.
Susannah "Susan" Henry was born 25-May-1846 and died 3-Jul-1914 in Westmoreland Co., PA. Mary Henry was born 15-Sep-1852 and died 2-Apr-1924 in Westmoreland Co., PA.
An attempt was made to find additional information on the children of Samuel Shively. Following is some of the information found for this article:
Children of Samuel Shively and Susannah Henry
1. William E. Shively was born on 21-Aug-1867 and died 4-Dec-1961 in Turtle Creek, Allegheny County, PA. He was married on 30-May-1901 to Katherine Ness Wishart. Katherine was a daughter of John Wishart and Katherine Hodge and was born in Scotland on 25-Jun-1870 and died in Allegheny County, PA on 15-Mar-1948. On census records William was listed as a farmer and then on the 1930 census he was a janitor at a school.
2. Mary Jane Shively was married to William Shuey on 8-Mar-1887. She was born 28-Apr-1869 and died 30-Jun-1962.
3. Charles Fredrick Shively was born 6-Apr-1873 in Westmoreland Co., PA and died 16-Jul-1946 in Pittsburg, Allegheny Co., PA He was married to Mary Hudson on 15-Sep-1896. She was a daughter of William Hudson and was born 7-Sep-1870 and died 24-Jan-1937 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA. In 1910 Charles and Mary were living in Chicago, IL and he was a lamp trimmer for the gas company. By 1930 they had moved to Allegheny Co., PA and he was a salesman for household supplies.
Children of Samuel Shively and Mary Henry
1. Harry L. Shively was born 1-Jan-1875 or 1876 and died 3-Nov-1963 in Westmoreland Co., PA. He was married to Lucetta Baughman who was a daughter of James Baughman and Rose Oplinger. She died in 1958 in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland Co., PA. On the 1910 census Harry was listed as a coal miner.
2.John Frederick Shively was born 21-Apr-1878 in Greensburg, PA and died 24-Dec-1953 in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland Co., PA. He was married to Lilly M Fox on 4-Sep-1906. She was a daughter of James Fox and Alice Kenner and was born 7-Oct-1890 and died 29-Nov-1929. On the 1910 census John was listed as a clerk in a grocery store and in 1920 was a track walker for the railroad.
3. Anna Shively born ca 1880
4. Howard Walter Shively was born 21-Dec-1882 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., PA and died 17-Dec-1963 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., PA. He was married to Agnes M. Willard on 5-May-1904. On the 1920 census Howard is a clerk in a grocery store and in 1930 he is a salesman for National Biscuit Company. Howard Walter Shively and Agnes M. Willard had at least two children, a daughter Leona A. Shively and a son Kenneth Howard Shively who was born on 4-Sep-1910 and later married Gertrude.
5. Edward Cline Shively was born 28-Mar-1885 in Jeannette, Westmoreland Co., PA and died 14-Oct-1953 in South Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., PA. He was first married to Margaret Sara Walker daughter of George Walker and Mary Smith. Margaret was born on 15-Jan-1881 and died 15-Nov-1929. He may have married a second time to Mary. Edward was a motorman for the street railway or street car.
6. Laura Edna Shively born ca. 1886. She may have married several times. In Fayette Co., PA is a marriage for Laura Shively to Elijah Dean on 28-Oct-1915. At some point Laura Shively was married to James Willard. James Willard died on 3-Mar-1929 from a fractured spine and ribs after a bucket fell from a crane onto him. There is a marriage for Laura Edna Willard and Walter Clair Kuhns for 5-Apr-1933. It is not understood why but she is still listed as Laura Willard on the 1940 Westmoreland County census records.
7. Lawrence Shively born ca 1891