This site was created by Larry Shively who is researching the history of the Shively families. The goal is to have a site where all Shively researchers can share and ask questions in regards to their Shively lines. The largest majority of the Shively family records are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana. There are early records of Shively's also in Virginia and Kentucky. There are not many established Shively lineages back to Europe. There are documented lineages to Switzerland and Germany. Through the sharing of information from all of our research it is desired that all can learn about our Shively families.

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Samuel Shively (Shiebler, Scheibler) And 1st Wife Susannah Henry, 2nd Wife Mary Henry Who Lived In Westmoreland County, PA

A descendant of the Samuel Shively (Shiebler, Scheibler) line who was from Westmoreland County, PA requested information regarding the lineage of the Shively and Henry lines. Articles related to this family were written for the Shively blog on 1-Apr-2012, 17-May-2014 and 13-Aug-2017.

Samuel Shively was born on 11-Oct-1842 in PA and died 9-Jul-1909 in Westmoreland County, PA.  His parents were Jacob Scheibeler, Jr (born 18-May-1816 died 8-Mar-1885 in Westmoreland County, PA) and Veronica Fannie (Fanny) Kepple (born 6-Dec-1815 died 14-Jul-1885 in Westmoreland County, PA). The parents of Jacob Scheibler, Jr were Jacob Scheibeler, Sr (born 4-Jun-1788 died 7-Oct-1861 in Westmoreland County, PA) and Catherine Troxel (Truxel) who was born 20-Nov-1781 died 4-Mary-1841. Jacob Scheibeler, Sr married 2nd Susannah Kepple (1796-1880).  John Jacob Scheibeler (Scheibler) Sr was the son of Frederick Scheibler ( 1763-1843) and Salome Leichty (born 1763 died 5-Feb-1839). Frederick Scheibler was the son of George Scheibler and wife Catherine (last name unknown) who came from Germany in the 1700's.

Listed on the 1850 Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the household of Jacob Shivelar age 62, wife Susan age 53, son Jacob age 34, Jacobs wife Fanny age 33, Jacob and Fanny's children George age 9, Samuel age 7, Betsey age 6, Mary Ann age 4, Catherine age 2, Lydia age 5 months and then a Sarah Brinker age 16. Listed on the 1860 Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the family of Jacob Scheibler age 44, wife Fanny age 48, son George age 19, son Samuel age 17, daughter Elizabeth age 15, daughter Mary Ann age 13, daughter Catherine age 11 and daughter Lydia A age 9. The next household is Jacob Scheibler age 72 and wife Susanna age 65. Listed on the Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the family of Jacob Shibley age 54, wife Anna age 54, son George age 29, daughter Catharine age 22, daughter Lydia age 20 and James Altman age 14. The next household is Susan Shibley age 73. Three households down from Jacob Shibley is the household of Samuel Shibler age 26, wife Susan age 22 and son William age 2. Listed on the 1880 Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the household of Jacob Scheibler age 64, wife Fannie age 64, son George age 39, daughter Lydia age 30, daughter in law Sophia age 22 and Frank Williams age 14.

Samuel Shively (Shiebler, Scheibler, Scheibeler, Shibley) married twice.  Both wives were sisters. The first wife was Susannah Henry and the second wife was Mary Henry. They were the daughters of Frederick Henry III and Lydia Ann (last name not known for sure as records vary regarding her last name).   Frederick Henry III was born 1816 and died 1898. From the Find A Grave web site is the following: “the father of Frederick Henry III was Frederick Henry II. Frederick Henry II survived the Indian attack in 1779 called “The Henry massacre” in which his mother and 3 children were murdered at home. Infant sister, Margaret Elizabeth Henry was murdered along the way after capture. Two other children were captured and rescued. From various accounts Fred Henry II got away from the cabin and sought help”.
   Frederick Henry II was born 1773 in PA and died 1865 in PA.  Wife was Margaret born 1794 in PA
   The father of Frederick Henry II was Frederick Henry I who was born 1748 in Germany and died 1820 in Hempfield, Mercer County, PA. The wife of Frederick Henry I was Catherine Frantz for 5-Sep-1751 in Bourges, France. She was murdered in 1779 in the “Henry massacre” in Westmoreland, PA.

On the 1850 Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the family of Frederick Henry age 35, wife Lydia age 32, daughter Susan age 4 and son Zacharia age 3. On the 1860 Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the household of Frederick Henry age 48, wife Lydia age 35, daughter Susanna age 13, son Zachariah age 11, daughter Mary age 9, daughter Ellen age 7, son Noah age 2, and daughter Lydia age 6 months. On the 1870 Sewickly Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the family of Frederick Henry age 59, wife Lydia age 51, son Zachariah age 21, daughter Mary age 18, daughter Elllen age 17, son Noah age 13, daughter Lydia A. age 10 and daughter Jennie age 7.  Listed on the 1880 Penn Township, Westmoreland County, PA census is the household of Fred Henry age 64, wife Lydia age 61, son Noah age 23, daughter Anna age 20,  daughter Jennie age 16 and grandsons Willie Shively age 12 and Charley Shively age 6.

The will of Jacob Scheibeler, Jr (born 18-May-1816 died 8-Mar-1885) was located in Westmoreland Will Book 7, Pages 282-283:
No. 49 of 1885     ) In the name of God Amen I Jacob Scheibaler of Hempfield Township in 
Will Of                  ) County of Westmoreland and State of Pennsylvania being of sound and
Jacob Scheibler   )disposing mind memory and understanding praised be God for the same do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner following to wit. I order that all my just debts, funeral expenses and proving this my Will be in the first place fully paid and satisfied and after payment thereof I give and bequeath as follows. Item, I direct that my beloved wife Fannie take under the Act of Assembly of 1849 allowing widows three hundred dollars of the valuation and appraisement thereof. Item, I give and bequeath to my son George F Scheibaler fifteen hundred dollars which amount I have already advanced to him out of the payment of the Tract of land I sold to him which he now occupies. Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary intermarried to Henry E Snyder the Tract of land they now occupy called the Kepple Tract containing seventy five acres and and 128 (   ) and she the said Mary to have fifteen hundred dollars in said Tract of land as her legacy and pay out to my daughter Elizabeth intermarried to Michael Snyder fifteen hundred dollars as her legacy in said Tract of land and at my death pay to my (  ) seven hundred and fifty dollars being in full payment for said Tract of land. Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Lydia A intermarried to Albert Eisaman my homestead farm I now occupy containing eighty acres for which she shall pay to my daughter Catherine intermarried to Jessee Fry fifteen hundred dollars for her legacy in said farm and I hereby reserving a house on said farm for my wife Fannie during her natural life should she survive me and I also direct that each one of said heirs occupying the said farms as aforesaid namely George F Scheibaler and Mary Snyder and Lydia A Eisaman give each and every year twelve bus. of wheat and twenty five bushels of oats and fifty bush ear of corn and two bus of potatoes all to be of a good quality from each one during the natural life time of my wife Fannie should she survive me and I also give and bequeath to my son Samuel Scheibaler eight hundred dollars which said amount I have already paid to him in full, and should there by anything left after all my debts and expenses and tombstones for myself and wife are fully paid I direct the same to be divided share and share alike amongst all my heirs. I further direct that after my wife Fannie has taken three hundred dollars of the appraisment and value thereof that the remainder of all my personal property be sold by my executor at public sale and the proceeds thereof to be divided as already ordered and I herby nominate and appoint my son George F Scheibaler and William  (   ) my executors to this my last Will and Testament. In testimony whereas I the said Testator have hereunto set my and and seal this 13th day of February AD 1884.              Signed Jacob Scheibeler (Seal)

In the presence of us who in his presence and at his right subscribe our name as witnesses.
                                     John Truxel
                                     Josiah Maxwell

And now March 14 1885 legally proved and approved same day recorded and letters testify granted to the within named Executors who were duly sworn before me.
                                      E F Houseman, Register

Testator died March 6, 1885 at 5 K am
               


No comments:

Post a Comment